Speaking of mental health…
Posted on Wednesday, 27 September 2023
The agricultural industry, while essential for feeding the world, often brings about unique stressors and challenges that can take a toll on the mental wellbeing of farmers and their families.
The isolation of rural life, financial pressures, unpredictable weather conditions, and the demanding nature of the work can lead to high levels of stress, anxiety, and depression.
You don’t have to face tough times alone and there are always people ready and willing to help.
We’ve pulled together a list of organisations you can turn to for help and support organisations such as Surfing for Farmers which assists by getting farmers off the farm and into the surf to foster social connections during warmer months.
- Farmstrong - A great website that provides a wealth of useful information on wellbeing, events, and resources.farmstrong.co.nz
- Rural Support Trust - Provides a range of support including health and wellbeing, and financial pressure support specific to the rural sector. 0800 787 254 or www.rural-support.org.nz
- Suicide Crisis and Prevention Helpline - If you, or someone you know, may be thinking about suicide, call this helpline to speak with an experienced social service practitioner who have specific suicide prevention training. 0508 828 865
- Lifeline - Talk to a trained counsellor about how you’re feeling or to ask any questions. 0800 111 757
- Need to Talk? - Free call or text anytime for support from a trained counsellor. Free call or text 1737
- Alcohol Drug Helpline - Specific for people and their families struggling with alcohol and drug addictions. 0800 787 797
- Gambling Helpline - Specific for people and their families struggling with a gambling addiction. 0800 654 655
- Healthline - For trusted health advice, treatment, and information. 0800 611 116
- Your GP - You can always consider talking to your GP.
Or if it's an emergency, call 111.